Thursday 28 April 2011

Thinking about an Award Title.....

Looking at the type of questions asked in both interviews, i have tried to make the questions as relevant to the subject of inquiry as possible.
These being:
Can a dancer develop without the use of exams?
Is a syllabus needed to further development of Street dance within the community?
Should Street dance be formalized within education?

Award Title thoughts:
Ba (hons) Professional Practice Community Dance Development?
BA (Hons) Professional Practice Street Dance Development?
BA (Hons) Professional Practice Developing Dance in Education?

I focused my award title on the word development as i feel that my inquiry is leading me into the development of a dance form and trying to take it places through progression.
I do teach dance in schools but also in community and private settings. I don't want to limit myself to just education as this could become to formal. Instead, i want to focus more on community and the development of Street dance learning and it's progression.

1 comment:

  1. OK I understand although its a bit muddled. I feel you have thought more about things than you have written here. My MA (which I did at Middlesex through WBL) is in
    "Work Based Learning: Dance in community and education".

    I think you are working towards something like this but can you explain how the dance diploma (you have which you are using as the body of credits) has anything to do with community or education. The title is not just about now it needs to consider the last two or three years you did too. It might be really useful for you to use this to track your development over the last few years. This would be like looking deeply into your own practise to answer the questions you are asking others. In other words what is it about the last two years that you did in the dance dip that makes you feel you have the BA (Hon) experience toward the title. How do you feel qualified to work in schools and community? Have you taken exams in this? These are your inquiry questions too. Maybe this is also about you defining your own credibility in a field that is still quite in formal in terms of regulation.

    With time considerations, maybe just
    "BA (Hons) Dance" would be the best. I would recommend this.
    But I still think you should think about your own experience with exams etc... to better understand your interest in the inquiry you are planning.
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete